Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai - View Single Post - Ayu's "worsening" voice?
View Single Post
Old 15th February 2010, 03:15 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
I feel like people are undermining Ayu for her singing abilities for God knows what reason.
They're "undermining" them because some people treat them like they were godly or something when at their best, she was probably only better than the average idol singer. I think that Ayu's voice is amazing and unique, and no one else in the world can sound like her without sounding like a complete idiot, but as for her vocal ability compared to people who are classically trained/have always strived to become singers since they were young, she cannot hold a candle to them. However, this doesn't matter to me because despite that, she is able to express herself through the songs/performance even though her vocals are not incredible, like I said before, she makes up for it with her passion.

Quote:
But maybe it's just me... but would your voice go all raspy and choppy just because you lost your hearing on one ear. I don't mind if she goes out of tune or whatever because I can understand that; but seriously, raspy and choppy voice? I can't attribute that to her loss of hearing, sorry. And if she's breaking her notes up so she can "listen" to how it sounds like, then firstly it isn't working, and secondly it obviously isn't helping much.
It's a combination of her losing her hearing in one ear along with the new singing style. Just singing in a different way is hard for some people, and Ayu has to do it with only one working ear. She could sing nasally if she wanted to, and it'd be easier since that's what she's used to, but instead she chooses to use the more difficult technique. It quite possibly explains why everything sounds so different from the way things used to sound because she's completely outside of her comfort zone vocally. For someone like Ayu, I'm sure she's having Kome [her vocal supervisor or whatever] tell her what she's doing wrong and such. If she was singing badly without trying to fix it like some people seem to suspect (which I think of as complete bull) someone would've told her she wasn't doing things right. Ayu is the singer here, and I'm sure she knows wtf she's doing after 11 years in the business even though some people want some forumgoers to believe that they "know what's going on behind the scenes" when they really don't. I don't know either, but I have faith that she's trying as hard as she can to give everyone who listens to her music the best performance possible even if her voice isn't 100%. This is the woman who performs with broken fingers, a sprained ankle, a severe cold, a lost voice, and so on. I think like many (normal) people, Ayu will have her off days when it comes to her voice, and there just isn't anything she can do about it once she goes on stage. Do you expect her to just stop singing because her voice isn't working properly? The show must go on, after all...