[Koda Kumi] 202nd Thread - Celebrating her 20th year - Page 18 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2020, 06:45 PM
poker face Initiate

I'm watching her concerts back to back on YouTube and I was wondering what do you guys think about the way she tends to split her concerts into three very distinctive sections? I love her ballads to death but somehow I always find myself growing tired of watching the ballad section halfway through it
Old 6th May 2020, 06:53 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavismo View Post
I'm watching her concerts back to back on YouTube and I was wondering what do you guys think about the way she tends to split her concerts into three very distinctive sections? I love her ballads to death but somehow I always find myself growing tired of watching the ballad section halfway through it
tbqh I feel the same... It must be amazing for those attending the tour, to have just Kuu on stage singing beautiful songs, but when it comes to watching it on DVD it gets a bit dragged... That's why I love TRICK and UNIVERSE Tour so much, there wasn't a ballad-only section. The Artist was also nice cause even tho there was a ballad section, there were outfit changes, the giant dress, the chandelier she sat on, so things got a bit more interesting to watch. But during DNA Tour the section was just so meh I hope she spices things up for her 20th anniv tour (I mean, if it's gonna happen at all, we should have gotten the FC lottery past month but there was no word on that... I guess they're waiting to see how the pandemic affects Japan to properly announce stuff and sell tickets, cause probably when we go back to having live concerts I doubt they'll allow the crowd to sit side by side so close like they used to, so live veneus will be allowed to fit less people inside them...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
I don't remember if she said something, but back in her club days she performed at a tribute live for Janet, around the time she was doing her All for you Tour in Japan. It was called ジャネットジャクソン来日記念 前夜祭イベント トリビューライブ.

But it's clear that Janet inspired her.

I don't think Kumi would interact with her fans on stage like she does if wasn't for Janet. I mean, her Would You Mind performance is a LOT more sexual, but still the concept is the same. haha

Also, Hot Stuff has kinda the same vibe as Janet's All nite, not the same concept but the abandoned place with people dancing and using flashlights is basically there.

I haven't seen her tours yet but yeah I can see the concept of Kuu's interaction being there hahahaha

The part of Hot Stuff where's she's fighting those guys always gave me Xtina's Dirrty vibes, and now I can see the inspiration for the other portion of the video lol That's so cool! It's like completing a puzzle hahahah It's so clear how Xtina and Janet inspired her, really cool to see this.

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Last edited by Gustavopc; 6th May 2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 6th May 2020, 07:35 PM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavopc View Post
tbqh I feel the same... It must be amazing for those attending the tour, to have just Kuu on stage singing beautiful songs, but when it comes to watching it on DVD it gets a bit dragged... That's why I love TRICK and UNIVERSE Tour so much, there wasn't a ballad-only section. The Artist was also nice cause even tho there was a ballad section, there were outfit changes, the giant dress, the chandelier she sat on, so things got a bit more interesting to watch. But during DNA Tour the section was just so meh I hope she spices things up for her 20th anniv tour (I mean, if it's gonna happen at all, we should have gotten the FC lottery past month but there was no word on that... I guess they're waiting to see how the pandemic affects Japan to properly announce stuff and sell tickets, cause probably when we go back to having live concerts I doubt they'll allow the crowd to sit side by side so close like they used to, so live veneus will be allowed to fit less people inside them...)
Indeed! I guess that the ballad section must be the most magical experience of her tour when attending it, especially in hall tours as people are closer to her, but watching it from home it feels quite draining to go through all of it UNIVERSE Tour is my favourite because it has more than three acts and she scattered her ballads nicely through them, I'm glad she's has tried to shake things up a little bit for the ballad section in some of her tours though... And it would be really nice if she tried something completely different from that formula for her 20th Anniversary Tour, I do hope it still goes accordingly to her original plans for the end of the year even though it feels like it's quite possible they move everything to next year
Old 6th May 2020, 08:55 PM
Initiate

To me it depends on how it's done. I do prefer concerts where she changes the songs or do different things to make it more dynamic, like the Dejavu Tour - she changed 3 times of outfit, sang with her own hologram and had an iconic moment with the changing outfit thing. As Gustavo said, the one from The Artist is great as well. Ever since BSC Tour the ballad section has been more stripped down sadly (besides Moon Crying, which was great).

I can't stand the 45min of the ballad section from FANTASIA for example. Nothing happens besides walking, not even the lifting thing from Ai no Kotoba makes it interesting to watch at home. I was disappointed with DNA Tour because it had a good concept for stage, with the two screens. I just couldn't believe they didn't think to do any interesting thing for the whole section. Besides the water effect for the first song, which was great, it ended in the middle of the song and then it was gone.

I do understand that those are the moments for people to really think about the lyrics and feel the emotion, and that's why the lyrics are on screen during the section, but well....
Old 6th May 2020, 09:32 PM
appears Initiate

I remember crying hard during the ballad section in the show I attended but yeah watching them on DVD is not so exciting.

In most of her lives, there is an outstanding ballad performance in middle of over performed ballads. So yeah it’s enjoyable only if you love the songs chosen.
Pro for WOML Tour, i noticed she did not perform Ai no Uta there!

Rewatching Kingdom Tour made me remember how great hands performance was... while all the full section was crazy long to watch.

Instagram

Last edited by Darkifrit; 6th May 2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 6th May 2020, 11:02 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
I can't stand the 45min of the ballad section from FANTASIA for example. Nothing happens besides walking, not even the lifting thing from Ai no Kotoba makes it interesting to watch at home.
FANTASIA is on another whole level of problems to me, it felt like a rushed concert, as if they decided too late to hold it, so they recycled lot of stuff, didn't really take advantage of that big wide stage and also Kuu was clearly nervous during a lot of times, to the point of forgetting where she was supposed to be in order to end the concert with Lick me lol
I mean, BC Tour was held on the same venue and there was more stuff going on with the stage, screens and props, whereas for most of the first section of FANTASIA she just danced on that mini round stage in the middle of the catwalk. The rock section wasn't even a whole rock section and that angry-mom-thats-gonna-call-the-manager wig didn't help at all and there was nothing new on that, she recicled Selfish from first things tour, screen videos from Kingdom Tour for FREAKY, CWGB stuff from UNIVERSE Tour for We Will Rock You... And then she could made a smart recycling by performing again the rock version of real Emotion from Black Cherry but didn't lol
It's a pity cause it was so grand and the setlist itself is really good, but it feels empty and not-new overall.

Last edited by Gustavopc; 6th May 2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 6th May 2020, 11:24 PM
NOTHING FROM NOTHING Initiate

Yes, the ballad section might be a little bit boring when it is watched from home (when she is singing some overperformed songs I usually go down to the kitchen in order to grab some snacks or tea lol) My favorite is the one from Dejavu Tour due to the songs selection, her outfits, hairstyle and vocals (in general she sounds amazing during Dejavu tour)

I also love how she changed things up with Bon Voyage (only 3 ballads if you consider Imagine as one... then she goes for more uplifting tunes, changes her outfit and does that cool medley) and WOML (only hands is her typical ballad, the rest songs are more upbeat... and this section is rather short, during which she changes her outfit, plays piano and does some crazy stuff in the air while singing Dance In The Air... awesome)

This is why all those 3 tours are my top3 favorite (I also love The Artist, Universe and W Face)

In general I am happy that she no longer does her kawaii sections and with the last tours it seems that she stopped recording those silly background videos in order to entertain her audience while changing outfits... it is so much better to watch her dancers doing some crazy stuff on stage instead... or watch some tour music videos (W Face, Strip, Shutout)
Old 6th May 2020, 11:40 PM
poker face Initiate

FANTASIA does feel a bit rushed/cheap/wasted opportunity, sadly, especially coming after UNIVERSE, Dream Music Park and Billboard Live and being a Dome concert I guess they probably didn't want to put a lot of money money/effort in it because it was an "one night only"? (or two nights? I can't remember) I think it's my least favourite concert of hers, along with Premium Night, I simply can't get into them and their ballad sections don't help either
Old 6th May 2020, 11:47 PM
Initiate

2010 was a crazy year, new compilation with original album, remix and later a cover album. Four concerts (UNIVERSE, Dream Music Park, Billboard Live and FANTASIA). She was also promoting Can We Go Back, Gossip Candy and Suki de. I got tired just listing these things, I can only imagine how insane it was for her.

I don't know if the concert was rushed, or they just went out of ideas for FANTASIA. I guess she saw the feedback from the Billboard Live and thought it was a good idea for the ballads shine for themselves, with no tricks and props. It could also be a matter of budget, we know the girl likes do use the budget rhythm zone gives to her and make the most of it.

I'm still not a huge fan of the concert, even tho the stage is awesome and she looks absolutely beautiful for the first section (not a fan of the Karen-like hair for the rock one), but looking back I understand the setlist more (I was mad for not having underperformed songs, but now I see that was not a place for her to perform songs only her fans knew the words to). I also hate the interludes.... Thank god those funny bits aren't a thing anymore.

--

On a side note, poor Kumi lost all her turnips. lol You have to sell them, girl.

--

She's on Sukkiri talking about Animal Crossing. haha

The performance was cute, she was playing with her dog while singing. Audio was bad tho, clearly the same mic that she used for All for you. lol

Last edited by kaled kalil; 7th May 2020 at 02:53 AM.
Old 7th May 2020, 11:15 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Happy to see Kuu for another long segment on Sukkiri!

DJ Koo from TRF live remixed some selected Kuu songs:

Her VS Arashi episode is airing today as well.

Kuu can't login into her Instagram account for the last three days, that's why she's so silent there.
Instead she posts more on Twitter through her staff.
Hope she solves the problem soon, miss her posts.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 7th May 2020, 02:01 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Guess Who Is Back music box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59pswCduZso

Last time Kuu appeared on VS ARASHI was way back in 2011

https://twitter.com/KODAKUMINET/stat...39855261528064

The 2 photos Kuu holding were taken when she played Dual Curling during VS ARASHI , back in 2011

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Last edited by KarenPang; 7th May 2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 7th May 2020, 02:31 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Currently watching BSC Tour, really enjoying it. i heard all the tours as mp3 but didn't really watch half of them since Billboard probably. Rewatching makes me realize that the tour I attended (W FACE) was pretty average in comparison. I mean she can stand there for 2 hours and sing and I'll get goosebumps, but even at the time it did not feel as exciting as other concerts by her (I watched on DVD).

Thats said, all her concerts feel really nice - and always fresh even if she just performs singles. She is just on another level when doing lives - it always feel genuine in a way. I also rewatched a lot of Ayu performances, and I don't want to compare (I'm still amazed how much star power that small person has), but the feeling is different - the expectations somehow too. Maybe because I don't long for a good vocal performance with Ayu.

I really enjoy Premium Night, don't get the criticism and as someone who does not attend regularly I would have prefered the BSC Tour over the W FACE Tour to attend.

Lastly - I think she needs to break of the ballad sections. I get them, they are always nice and it is probably good to have them between two parts with intense performances but it would help so much to put them in-between upbeat-tracks.

Ah...oh...and I'm still amazed how singers can remember so many lyrics. I mean, i can too and my head is mostly full with random lyrics but it is something else to sing on stage with no guide vocals (and sometime 30 to 40 songs in a row). Just something worth to notice, since it is probably something you expect from a singer (his/her job) - still a cool thing to pull of.

Last edited by thinkingoutloud89; 7th May 2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 7th May 2020, 03:09 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

DJ KOO starting the kumix with the TRICK introduction made me cry a little bit inside cause I remembered we never got a full studio version of it

And still on 2010 yeah that was an insane year when it comes to live performances, she had all those tours and concerts and lots of tv lives, a-nation, and she found time to literally travel to the other side of the globe and make a photobook there ROFL We were too spoiled

Last edited by Gustavopc; 7th May 2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 7th May 2020, 06:22 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

This week's VS ARASHI featuring Kuu as the sole Plus One Guest

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1pZ4y1s7mz

Beginning of the show ARASHI congratulates Kuu with this year being her 20th anniversary

And Kuu commented that she , ARASHI's Aiba & comedian Kano Eiko were born in the same year

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 7th May 2020, 06:42 PM
Initiate

The episode is available on JPS. I'll watch later. Last time she did was during Love Me Back promotion, and it was so much fun. Also, her team won that time, and the reaction Kitagawa Keiko had when she lost was so funny. haha

It's kinda weird that those promotions were probably schedule months prior to the whole covid problem, and I wonder if something was going to happen around May/June and it's postponed without further details. For Sukkiri yesterday they were promoting reLIVE's video release at the end of the segment, as this is the only thing out recently.

At this point let's cancel 2020 and do her 20th anniversary in 2021.

--

I thought that it was very sweet of her to do WIND with her dog, since the PV had RUM that sadly died years ago. She even said something about this on instagram.
Old 7th May 2020, 10:46 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Oh I didn't recall that RUM was on the PV, now I'm soft

On the promotions I'm pretty sure we would be getting a single by now and it'd be featured in an upcoming best of album. Now who knows lol

---

I got nothing else to do so I decided to rank the most viewed 20th Anniv PVs in Kumi's channel. In the spoiler I've put those under 100k

1. you - 529k
2. Crazy 4 U - 435k
3. It's all Love! - 404k
4. Someday - 328k
5. Pink Spider - 319k
6. Koishikute - 297k
7. Love Me Back - 247k
8. BUT - 231k
9. Ai no uta (album version) - 207k
10. Cherry Girl - 198k
11. Get Up & Move!! - 195k
12. show girl - 181k
13. Unmei - 179k
14. D.D.D. - 174k
15. Birthday Eve - 168k
16. hands - 163k
17. Shake It Up - 162k
18. Gentle Words - 162k
19. Selfish - 122k
20. TAKE BACK - 116k
21. No Regret - 115k
22. Candy - 114k
23. WIND - 113k
24. stay with me - 103k
Spoiler:

25. Aisho - 92k
26. POP DIVA - 92k
27. anytime - 89k
28. m.a.z.e. - 86k
29. Lies - 83k
30. Ima sugu hoshii - 71k
31. Amai wana - 71k
32. Boom Boom Boys - 70k
33. V.I.P. - 69k
34. Brave - 66k
35. So Nice - 56k
36. ESCALATE - 54k
37. You're So Beautiful - 53k
38. Koi no mahou - 50k
39. Wicked Girls - 46k
40. Twinkle - 46k
41. So Into You - 43k
42. Hot Stuff - 42k
43. Himitsu - 41k
44. NO ME WITHOUT YOU - 40k
45. Ultraviolet - 39k
46. SHOW ME YOUR HOLLA - 39k
47. On And On - 34k
48. Like It - 33k
49. LOL - 33k
50. Slow - 33k
51. Under - 31k
52. No Man's Land - 29k
53. Lay Down - 29k
54. Trust You - 28k
55. feel - 27k
56. Anata ga shite kureta koto - 27k
57. Bambi - 26k
58. Lovely - 26k
59. That Ain't Cool (Album Version) - 26k
60. Love Technique - 26k
61. PARTY - 25k
62. Shake Hip! - 24k
63. SUPERSTAR - 23k
64. NEVER ENOUGH - 23k
65. Promise you - 22k
66. KAMEN - 22k
67. BRIDGET SONG - 21k
68. LIT -Dance Version- - 21k
69. Insane - 20k
70. Passing By - 20k
71. JUST THE WAY YOU ARE - 19k
72. Hot Stuff (Dance Version) - 18k
73. Everyday - 18k
74. WALK OF MY LIFE - 17k
75. Bassline - 17k
76. faraway - 15k
77. MORE - 15k
78. hands ~album edition~ - 13k
79. Wonderland - 13k
80. You are not alone - 12k
81. anytime - 8,9k
82. All for you - 7,9k
83. Introduction for Kingdom - 7,7k

Really happy for Crazy 4 U and Pink Spider, but we gotta stream MORE and Bassline! And at this rate I believe IaL! will be the first one to cross 1M views.

Last edited by Gustavopc; 7th May 2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 8th May 2020, 02:23 AM
As if.. Initiate

The response to the Koishikute PV is so interesting. I always thought it wasn't exactly a fan favorite despite being a digital hit.

I definitely think a single of some kind was planned for May as well.
Old 8th May 2020, 01:58 PM
Initiate

It's ECSTASY time!

PV is also up
Old 8th May 2020, 02:05 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

How-to-video No.4: ECSTASY

Also there's a dance version PV for Be One released.
Kuu's dancers dance the part of her and Kenji (Kenji=male, Kuu=female).

Kuu shared this as well as a staff version video of Be One one of her staff members made alone at home!
Both got Kuu all teary-eyed, she's missing meeting everyone of her dancers, staff and her fans.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_5R5xs...d=4sio3glt6twn

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_6f68i...d=c569eq4voc1w

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 8th May 2020, 05:04 PM
Initiate

Trust Your Love is up as well

I love the song, but the PV is something special for sure. lol She looks so uncomfortable dancing with the guys. The icy look is kinda cute, but the other one is not flattering at all to her.

@Gustavo Bassline is such a non event that I haven't watch the PV ever since the release. Love the song, but the PV is not that good.

Last edited by kaled kalil; 8th May 2020 at 05:14 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
koda kumi, kuu, queen of live