[Koda Kumi] The 188th Thread - NEW DOUBLE ALBUM ► W FACE inside/outside - Page 15 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2017, 05:11 PM
MY STORY Initiate

When listening to Heartless it took me about 60 seconds to go from "wth is this warbling" to "omg I'm in love with everything about this song". Outside is definitely the stronger of the two albums and probably the only one I'll buy.

AYU ~Countdown Live 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ [29.12, 31.12], AYU ~CDL Cirque du Minuet [29.12.14], AYU TROUBLE 18-19 [05.01.19]
Maaya Sakamoto ~Mitsubachi [30.12.12] BABYMETAL [10.01.2015]

BIG BANG [21.10.2015]
Old 7th March 2017, 05:43 PM
Interlude Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
I'm reading the booklet now and surprise: Some of the "special vocals" for My fun are from Kuu's son!

omg this so sweet

I'm really in love with Outside, but both albums are amazing

★ Visit Please ★
My tumblr | Koda Kumi Mexico FP

Old 7th March 2017, 05:50 PM
LIMIT Initiate

In my opinion, this album isn´t progress...
she had two years for this, W Face isn´t „finished“. You know?

For years...new Album comes out: i think „ok, not good :/“ than a new album comes out and i think „ok, the last one was good!!“... but now, i think „2 new albums and no new album is suprising or balanced - tha last ones are fantastic, individually“

W face is „Ok“ - but not suprising or something special (for me)...

But I am happy for all who like it !

Last edited by aVeel; 7th March 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 7th March 2017, 05:56 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Liked inside way more than expected when it was announced. The song skippable song is What's Up, but it's not as tragic as some other fun songs she has. Stand by you, Yorokobi no Kakera and My fun are my favourites <3 Love the work with Chara, it sounds like Chara stuff indeed but still Kuu owns it. Plus I was surprised by the instrumental of Bring It On, the rock instruments are more evident than I expected.

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 7th March 2017, 06:10 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Where are te MVs?????????
Old 7th March 2017, 06:28 PM
Dolls Initiate

My fun is sweet. Chara I'm glad that Kumi did a colab with her.
From my first listen to W FACE ~outside~ W FACE caught my attention the most and Heartless is probably my least fave.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:33 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I just listend to inside on my iphone and omg what is that damn song with all the bell noises in it? i hate that! Was it "Stand by you"? - urgh why do people do this "glitter" sound in songs, so tacky -skip!
Old 7th March 2017, 07:41 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Just came home from work and just started listening to the albums.

But Good Time Music already aired and Kuu performed Promise you and Ultraviolet, not On my way.
Here's some progressing videos of both, starting with Promise you and going right next to Ultraviolet:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRWDekYDHGf/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRWDl6rjdiD/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRWDrpJjCWd/

Thanks to the uploader.
Streaming link isn't up yet.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 7th March 2017, 08:01 PM
appears Initiate

I guess here's my review of the two albums, track-by-track:

W FACE ~outside~

01. W FACE - 8/10

I think this is one of Koda's strongest opening tracks for an album in years. I like the atmospheric feel and then it shifts quite nicely to the drop.

02. Ultraviolet - 7/10

A very hot track that honestly suffers from being too long by almost a minute. This should have been a MONEY IN MY BAG-length track. It would have packed a lot more punch that way.

03. Insane - 7/10

I like the hip-hop-rock style of this track. The production is very tight.

04. Damn real - 5/10

This song is long by like two minutes. But it's an excruciating two minutes. Like W FACE and Ultraviolet, it packs a lot more punch if it were shorter.

05. Heartless - 3/10

I'm sorry. I know some people are in love with this song. I've now listened to it twice, and I can't get over what is otherwise a really nice melody being shouted over. Perhaps the lyrics can save this, but not enough for me to think that Koda could have just brought down the shouting on the chorus... by a lot. I also feel like the music is negligible here, as though we could easily just have the music or the voice and the song would be better off. In fact, I'd probably be less spiteful toward this track if it were just Koda singing acapella.

06. Bassline - 6/10

Considering I hate saxophones, I'm surprised I think better of this song. (I tried to set that hatred aside.) I like the hip-hop-jazz feel. Unfortunately, at this point in the album I'm already tired of these style tracks. I had a fear that separating songs by style would be the greatest fall of these two albums. It's coming true.

07. Shh! - 7/10

My score is more affected by how worn out of this style I am at this point in the listening process. Otherwise, I love Shh! It's a fun song that I tend to find myself singing in the car at random times.

08. Bangerang - 5/10

My score is now heavily affected by how worn out this song sounds at this point in the album. It's still tight, but feels heavily recycled.

09. Wicked Girls - 2/10

This is mind-splitting. I've never heard a song that so much needs to be a forgotten b-side on one of Koda's singles. At this point, I'm so sick of hearing this album, but to end it on this note, Cupcake will need to be a fucking song written by God and produced by Heaven to save my interest in this album.

10. Cupcake - 2/10

I can't in good conscience rate a Koda track 1/10. That said, this is another perfect example of a track that should be a forgotten b-side on one of Koda's singles.

OVERALL SCORE: 5.2/10

W FACE ~outside~ just dropped the bomb. This album's saving graces are W FACE, Ultraviolet, Insane, and Shh! These are all tracks that I think would stand out much more if they weren't drowning in similar sounding songs over 32 minutes.

Now, on the positive side, I would have preferred almost any of the first 8 tracks to replace tracks like Mercedes and Lippy on WOML. So, I think Koda has clearly tightened up her production, lyricism, and snap. What's missing on this album is something that makes you want to get out of your seat like BE MY BABY, House Party, or Loaded. It's genuinely suffering from not having that ONE song everyone will want Koda to play on tour every year.

W FACE ~inside~

01. BRIDGET SONG - 8/10

My immediate concern is that this is not the song I'd want to open an album with. It's too laid back, too casual, too relaxed. I'd want something stronger with more of a statement than this. Otherwise, it's a nice song that reminds me of tracks like IN THE AIR and stuff she used to do on Black Cherry / TRICK / UNIVERSE.

02. Bring It On - 7/10

It's nice to hear something in the same vein as LALALALALA and Poppin' love cocktail. Still, this isn't how I would have opened the album. It's just not enough of a standout track to say, "You'll want to keep listening." I also feel that it starts to suffer from being too long at around the 2:10 mark.

03. Yorokobi no Kakera (lit. Fragment of Pleasure) - 7/10

This song will be a nice mix in a ballad selection if played on tour or on a ballad collection. There's nothing too memorable about it thus far. The string sections, however, are gorgeous and evoke nostalgia. The ending is a real nice touch too.

04. Stand by you - 4/10

Before I even hit a minute into this song, my first thought is a six minute Koda ballad is four minutes too long for anyone. I hope this doesn't feel like the eternity of Ayu's Anything for You. ... And it is. Just boring. Way too long for a Koda ballad.

05. Sukideshite (lit. I Like It) - 4/10

At almost the same exact point, I'm getting bored of this album. This is a cute song, but it's one of those para para tracks for me. I just can't see her performing this except during an encore, where nobody cares about the song and they're all just hoping to catch a t-shirt. :\

06. Kimi Omoi (lit. My Thoughts) - 9/10

What a classic J-Pop ballad. Such a throwback. And this is the track I would've opened this album with. It's just enough of a statement that you know what you're getting, but it's a sound we haven't really heard from Koda in several years.

07. On my way - 6/10

It follows well in Kimi Omoi's footsteps. The low score is because it's too similar in style to warrant being RIGHT AFTER Kimi Omoi. But it's still a nice, relaxing, cruising ballad.

08. What's Up - 4/10

Like Wicked Girls and Cupcake, this should have been a b-side on a single. It's nice enough to MAYBE make an album, but this isn't my idea of a song that should make a Koda album if you can find a better track or afford a shorter track list. At least this song is leagues ahead of Wicked Girls and Cupcake in tolerance.

09. Promise you - 8/10

I would have given this production more similar to you. I think this song would sound better with more ethereal sounds filling out the space around that piano. Or even some stomping drums like Kelly Clarkson's Already Gone or Rachel Platten's Stand By You. The beat on this just sounds cheap. But it's a strong ballad. I would have placed this as track two. Too late in the album, it doesn't feel like it stands out as much as it should.

10. My fun - 2/10

Oh my god. Those kids sound like a Resident Evil soundbite. This should have just stayed a demo. It doesn't even need to be a b-side. Just make it stop. It's still not bad enough to warrant a 1/10, but it's probably less tolerable than Cupcake or Wicked Girls. I had to turn it off before the half mark.

OVERALL SCORE: 5.9/10

W FACE ~inside~ is just a slight step up from dropping the bomb. Kimi Omoi, Promise you, and Bring It On would have stood out much better if combined with the better tracks from W FACE ~outside~. What honestly kills both these records is that these songs are not only nothing to really tell all your friends about, but they're drowning on two discs with songs that sound just like they do.

On a positive note, I think Koda did nail a few of these songs. I like that she still can have fun on an album. However, that isn't shining through except in little cracks of sunlight on these two albums. I just can't hop on these albums the same way I could even somewhat hold WOML up when it was released. What's worse is that these albums don't have a track like WALK OF MY LIFE to save the rest of the album. They just have a slightly better than mediocre track or two to carry the rest.

It's been enough time, but I would have preferred more time than these two albums as they are. I think she's got at least 7 or 8 songs for a damn good album. The rest are disposable, save a few that could be b-sides. And My fun is just a Resident Evil soundbite. I'm more uncomfortable from that song than any other feeling.

SOME ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

Alive still remains my favorite Koda ballad ever. Koishikute is a close second. I would have absolutely loved this whole project more if she managed one song in the same vein as either of those two. So, I'm a little extra sad that with so much opportunity to make each record something truly authentic to her, she didn't bother to write more diverse tracks for either album. Koda's done a lot of work across many genres. I think ~outside~ really should have showcased Koda doing hip-hop, EDM, rock, and other really upbeat tracks. And I think ~inside~ needed the diversity of songs like you, No Way, You're So Beautiful, Kimi Omoi, and Alive. I just think she dropped the ball on both records in such a deep way that they're both more of a stain than a next step.

-> <-

Last edited by orbitalaspect; 7th March 2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 7th March 2017, 08:24 PM
Initiate

Just listened to Outside with my friend and dear god, we loved this album so much!
I have no words for W FACE this song is perfection!
I loved Insane and Bassline, such an awesome song *___*
Heartless is beautiful.

I already liked Ultraviolet, Wicked Girls and Shhh! I think Cupcake and Bangerang are the ones I like but not so much.
Old 7th March 2017, 08:37 PM
November Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zettai View Post
In my opinion, this album isn´t progress...
she had two years for this, W Face isn´t „finished“. You know?

For years...new Album comes out: i think „ok, not good :/“ than a new album comes out and i think „ok, the last one was good!!“... but now, i think „2 new albums and no new album is suprising or balanced - tha last ones are fantastic, individually“

W face is „Ok“ - but not suprising or something special (for me)...
I'm glad I'm not the only one. For me, it's not that the songs are bad, but something seems to be missing/lacking?

I'll listen to them again tomorrow, maybe that'll change my mind about some songs

| Set by me |

I love Stargate SG-1 even more now! Cuz in episode 9x12 there was a person called
Dr. Amuro

Old 7th March 2017, 09:12 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

After 2 listens each I can give an opinion, but I won't do a track by track review as it still is too fresh.

I do love outside a lot! I had some worries with the previews, but most of the tracks are strong.
The weakest on outside definitely is Heartless and probably Ultraviolet. Other than that I like every song.
Insane is surprising. I suspected this song to like the least. The lyrics are a bit.. well, insane, but they are like a comment on how crazy this world is or that you should go crazy to stand it.
Overall most of the songs progresses in ways I don't expect them to and that's a strong point for the whole album. And it is produced really well as well.
And I laughed so much at the end with Cupcake and the cat meowing, that really amuses me. xD

Inside has some weak (or better generic) tracks I don't fathom. Stand by you and Kimi Omoi mainly. Probably will never listen to those songs (well, already never listen to Kimi Omoi, lol).
But songs like Promise you, Yorokobi no Kakera and BRIDGET SONG are outstanding. Also really like What's Up, that's the pop-rock song I want from her.
And My fun - well, it is different for Kuu and it's sweet she uses her son and his friends on it, but it does sound a bit strange with the kid's voices.
But perfect ending song and maybe I gonna get used to it.

Overall strong lyrics on both albums with some exceptions.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 7th March 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 7th March 2017, 09:12 PM
appears Initiate

After a first listen of each albums, i've to say i'm happy with both albums.
I still consider Kumi as my favorite artist but i was disappointed with her releases in 2015 & 2016 with some exceptions (Like it, WALK OF MY LIFE, Dance in the Rain).
I love the concept of the release, it brings me excitment again (last time was for JAPONESQUE release i think)... The hype was well made with previews of one song each day.

W FACE -outside- : I love it as a whole. In fact i think all songs have good parts, some of them have some weird instrumental moments but i will be used to them. Glad to have urban songs for which i don't feel they're rejected demo of western artists, even if so, Kumi made them her style in much better way than her previous album.
My fav : W FACE, Bassline, Damn real, Bangerang, Insane, Heartless.

W FACE -inside- : I love most of the ballads. It's less impressive as a whole compared to outside but i like the complementarity of both albums.
My fav : Promise you (i'm so in love with it), On my way, 喜びのかけら, My fun (good surprise)

Instagram

Old 7th March 2017, 10:15 PM
Voyage Initiate

Thanks for the reviews guys! I'm expecting to feel similar to how I felt with WOML with these two albums when I get to listen to them. Which means severely disappointed at first but at the end of the day I will take away a few tracks I like from it.

Going forward I'd love another album like Best ~Second Session~ and Japonesque which are two of my favourite Kumi albums. They have a variety of genres which are all done well - two great pop albums IMO.
Old 7th March 2017, 10:16 PM
rainy day Initiate

The song W FACE is so lifeless. I just can't wrap my head around what draws you in? There's no energy there! Like compare to a track like BE MY BABY that like hypes you up and then blows the roof off... W FACE has decent verses but there's no "HERE WE GO" moment. I hate that.

She has tried to mirror the trap-style too literally with this album, and that style is just too gross for me. It's like music for thots to throw their legs up on a wall and twerk and pop their clam to.

Insane had potential but it's still a little off kilter.

I also agree with the comparison of there not being a track everyone will wish her to perform on tours for years to come. That's the feeling I miss. She needs to really work on those tracks that drive it home in the chorus.

Last edited by Zeke.; 7th March 2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 7th March 2017, 10:40 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

iTunes rankings worldwide:
http://kworb.net/itunes/artist/E5809...E86E69CAA.html

For recochoku we only will know by tomorrow.
But interesting note, recochoku is promoting outside on the main page. Not inside, outside.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 7th March 2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:01 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
I also agree with the comparison of there not being a track everyone will wish her to perform on tours for years to come. That's the feeling I miss. She needs to really work on those tracks that drive it home in the chorus.
I wasn't really expecting something a-la BE MY BABY, or what I remember being your favorite, Driving. Thanks for siding with me on this. I just don't hear anything that's going to be worth looking back at in five years and generates a response even close to something like BE MY BABY from fans. (I don't know if she ever will get another song out that gets as massive a response from an entire arena years later like BE MY BABY.) I just think she missed a chance to really showcase how she would have done styles like TABOO, Driving, BUT, JUICY, LOL, Ecstacy, and others today. I think if these albums represent who she is outside and inside then she's a pretty damn bland person.

I also agree that a lot of this seems like thots-twerking-their-cellulite-in-hooker-boots style songs. One or two is fine here and there, but outside is just loaded with these songs. And it's a bit tacky for someone of Koda's caliber, even on her worst days.

Edit: I also just get the impression that most of these 20 tracks are barely touching the quality of her older albums' intros and interludes. I hear a lot of similarities, for example, between any song on outside and the intros and interludes for Bon Voyage and JAPONESQUE. The songs, however, just seem underwhelming compared to those interludes.

I'd also like to see Koda write a 2 minute ballad at some point. If she can do it with an upbeat song, I'd like it in ballad form too, please.

-> <-

Last edited by orbitalaspect; 7th March 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:02 PM
appears Initiate

I guess JAPONESQUE will be the last album I like from Kumi, the new albums are really bad. W OUTSIDE is horrible. I wish she stop with this urban nonsense, she does not make it justice.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:50 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

I swear. Kuu has always been urban. She's just changed with the genre as it changed. I can see how some people don't like it, as a fan of hip hop I definitely have my frustrations these days. But just as Ayu is never going to make another Evolution, Kuu's not gonna be the same as she was in the past. Both have really just settled for making the kind of music they want. I like urban music as a whole, so I don't mind the direction she's going.

introduce a little anarchy

Old 8th March 2017, 12:15 AM
appears Initiate

what can i say bout W FACE 〜outside〜
if i would be a teen again i would piss myself how much i love this!
after Bon Voyage and WOML this is finally an amazing album.
with Namie doing Dance and Ayu doing Rock i think this is were Kuu belongs!
i mean she's a R&B artist since her debut lol

W FACE is literally an all time fave already, great song and it shows the album concept very well with the agressive beats and the mellow verses!
Ultraviolet kinda reminds me of JUICY in terms of being chaotic and messy with first listens, but after you get used to it you know how it works! still one the weaker songs.
Insane i'm surprised this really good... i thought this will be my least fave! love the rap parts, love her attitude
Damn real is like my 2nd fave song off this. the summer-ish but melancholic feel, THAT bridge and i love the messy beats! but i can understand if people don't like this.
Heartless is kinda amazing and tragic at the same time... love the verses and the Heartless/it's killing me part, but i wish this was just an 2min song and the chorus is a bit too dramatic
Bassline is so sensual and sexy urgh. i went from i hate the instrumental preview to i love this so much!
Bangerang/Wicked Girls both really fun easy to listen. love 'em
Cupcake feels a bit flat at first, but i love the song and the demon bg voice during verses and the moaning cat sounds are giving my life :hornycat

overall it's an amazing album for me and what i wanted from her this time!
i love the flow of the album and her attitude here!
W FACE 〜inside〜 on the other side is really weak and forgettable!

BRIDGET SONG wonderful, as an Angela Aki lover it's totally my thing
Bring It On is so not good and those damn horrible horn sounds i can't unhear since the short instrumental preview
喜びのかけら loving the verses/bridge/instrumental of this, but the chorus is so schmaltzy lmao
Stand by you like @thinkingoutloud89 said
好きでして is really cute, love this! but like 喜びのかけら it's a mood thing if i'll listen or not.
On my way is amazeballs!
What's Up it's miles better than LALALALALA and i kinda like this, but nothing too special, chorus is meh
Promise you love this, such a gem
My fun with CHARA it's so precious and magical!

i know it's early but outside will probably be one of my fave kuu albums ever with JAPONESQUE, Kingdom, Black Cherry and BEST 〜second session〜

if i would do 1 album out of both records it would look like this:
Spoiler:

1. W FACE
2. Ultraviolet
3. insane
4. Damn real
5. Bassline
6. Bangerang
7. Wicked Girls
8. Cupcake feat. AKLO
9. On my way
10. BRIDGET SONG
11. Promise you
12. My fun feat. CHARA

Heartless, 好きでして & 喜びのかけら are honorable mentions, but i have to be in the mood for them

Last edited by Gubsi; 8th March 2017 at 12:32 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
hottest asian artist, koda kumi, kumi koda, queen of live