Scrapped songs from recording sessions? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 28th July 2015, 11:59 AM
Dolls Initiate

Scrapped songs from recording sessions?

Songs that were originally written/ composed/ produced during :

A Song For xx :
*TO BE
*immature
(miss)understood :
*It was
*Startin
Secret :
*part of Me
*Gloria (mentioned in S Cawaii March 2013. The song was 6/7 years old at the time of its release, most logical during Secret - not 100% sure though)
Rock n Roll Circus:
*MOON
Unknown :
*Wake me up (mentioned in S Cawaii March 2013)
*Sweet scar (mentioned in S Cawaii March 2013)
*SAKURA (mentioned in S Cawaii March 2013. She said that this track was complete for a very long time and that she couldn.t have sung it in her 20s. So somewhere between 1998-2008)
*The Show Must Go On

It would be nice to talk about the songs that were scrapped from a certain album in favour of another song.

For example, how would have looked the original (miss)understood if ayu wouldn.t have included the Sweetbox.s demos (thank god she did, I love rainy day and beautiful day)?

Facts I know:
- TO BE was produced during A Song For xx
- It was -- (miss)understood demo, but was probably not included because of ayu.s change of heart (the Sweetbox demos)
- part of Me -- Secret demo. I wouldn.t wonder if this was produced during the same time as Secret (song)
- Wake me up -- Party Queen demo (the time when she started including dubstep elements into her songs). If I remember correctly, Party Queen was supposed to be a double CD so this makes sense. A lot of demos were left unreleased
- Sweet scar -- old D.A.I demo. I wonder what era this originates from?
- Gloria -- old demo; Ayu said in a LOVE again interview that this song is 6 years old, so it probably originates from the Secret sessions. 2012/2013 - 6 = 2006/2007. It really reminds me of Secret (the song) in a certain way.

Last edited by Surreal17; 29th July 2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 28th July 2015, 12:44 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Immature was also a song initially made for A song for XX and was even planned to be released as a single with different lyrics !

My Website Twitter Last.Fm
Old 28th July 2015, 01:13 PM
Dolls Initiate

wow, really? I didn.t know.
It would have been amazing as a proper single but it fits better on LOVEppears.
Old 28th July 2015, 01:36 PM
ayu trance Initiate

^
Yes it's difficult to imagine this song with arrangement a la A song for XX lol

I would have loved to hear the original version of Sweet Scar & Gloria ! Sweet Scar is quite well made when it come to arrangement and her vocal etc... but I think Gloria would have been way better with the way her songs were produce in 2006 and vocally too I am not really touched by her interpretation !!

Old 28th July 2015, 01:53 PM
Dolls Initiate

Yeah, her mastering was way better in 2006. But I prefer her 2012/2013 vocals regarding Gloria. That soft & deep tone is magical.
Old 28th July 2015, 03:20 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Wasn't also Startin' supposed to be on (m)u? I am almost sure I recall reading this here on AHS

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 28th July 2015, 03:34 PM
Dolls Initiate

Hmm, I remember reading something similar. She also premiered the song on CDL 2005-2006, on the day (m)u was released. Maybe Startin was one of the original (m)u songs before the intervention of the overseas demos.
Old 28th July 2015, 04:50 PM
July 1st Initiate

I thought in an interview that Ayu said Gloria or petal was written back during the Duty era but she felt it wasn't ready at that time. I might be mistaken, I'll have to do some digging.

Old 28th July 2015, 07:23 PM
Dolls Initiate

I.m sure about Gloria but I didn.t know about petal Do you have a link?
petal indeed has some of the mystic vibe of Duty (the album). The arrangement reminds me of SCAR. Two amazing pieces of music.

NOTE - I.LL UPDATE THE FIRST POST WITH ALL SONGS WE CAN FIND
Old 28th July 2015, 07:40 PM
GAME Initiate

I also remember reading that petal that was written around the time of Duty. It sounds a bit similar to SCAR, another Kunio Tago composition.
Old 28th July 2015, 08:07 PM
ayu trance Initiate

In fact a lot of songs included on Love Again were just unreleased tracks from the past :

Wake Me Up : "I've kept this song for quite a while actually, always thinking that I'd like to use it someday, and when we were producing mini-album "again", I just felt "Now's the time!", and this song was awakened."

SAKURA : "This song is another one which had been lying around, already arranged and ready to go, but I just felt that it wasn't the time, so I've held it close to me, waiting. Many songs in this album share this same story as well.""

Gloria : ""This song has been the director's baby for the past 6 years, and it finally made its way into the album this time... When I first heard the song, I remember feeling really nostalgic. The song just felt "right" to me, so no matter if years had passed, a good song will never lose its appeal."

Old 28th July 2015, 08:21 PM
Dolls Initiate

So we have 5 old demos included in Love Again that were ”oficially” revealed by Ayu.
I wonder what.s new in that album cuz Bye Bye Darling and Melody are definitely old demos too. The interludes are probably old too. That leave us with Song 4 U, Missing, snowy kiss, untitled 2, Ivy and You & me.
Old 28th July 2015, 08:25 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

omg a Duty song? That's A LOT of time being put aside, I had no idea lol Ans this tread is just making me see LOVE again as a (even) messier project, oh my...

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 28th July 2015, 08:35 PM
Dolls Initiate

I.m really curious when she said that petal was a Duty outtake.

And I remember reading that Moments was also an old demo. I must find that magazine translation. If I remember correctly it was something from 2004 and I read it here on AHS.
Old 28th July 2015, 08:44 PM
July 1st Initiate

I cannot seem to find the article regarding petal and now I'm really beginning to think I might have misread it or I'm thinking of another song. So I would remove petal from the list until I can confirm it.

Old 28th July 2015, 09:31 PM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal17 View Post
I.m really curious when she said that petal was a Duty outtake.

And I remember reading that Moments was also an old demo. I must find that magazine translation. If I remember correctly it was something from 2004 and I read it here on AHS.
I thought Moments was the opposite of old. Wasn't that the one she just recorded a chorus for a make-up CM. Then, fans liked the chorus, she made Moments a full song and it was the next single?

But yeah, Love Again is now coming off as one of those budget 'rarities' albums artists put out for contractual reasons.

Old 28th July 2015, 10:08 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Well well..when we see how they deliberately included in this album all the contents of the two mini albums + "You & Me" supposed to be specific to A SUMMER BEST and that most of the songs were from past years, Love Again sound really like an album done without real desire ... Even if she said during interviews that she likes every songs it's still the only album since A Song for XX which most of the songs have not been performed live !

And now if you read her last interview she explained herself that she didn't have any inspiration between 2013/2014 after the Maro's scandal so all makes sense now ! That explain why most of the stuffs were old stuffs ready to go ...

Old 28th July 2015, 11:00 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

She did talk about LOVE again tracks in an article that Misa-chan translated a while back, I think. That's where we got most of the information from.

https://misachanjpop.wordpress.com/2...ature-article/

Nothing too specific about petal here.

Last edited by truehappiness; 28th July 2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 28th July 2015, 11:37 PM
GAME Initiate

I could've sworn I read something about petal being from Duty era too. Maybe I'm going crazy.

Oh, I distinctly remember her saying in an interview that RED LINE was not composed during the R'n'R Circus sessions. Something about how she had the composition from Yukumi for a while, but was waiting for the right moment to use it.

Last edited by Coelacanth; 29th July 2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 29th July 2015, 12:22 AM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal17 View Post
So we have 5 old demos included in Love Again that were ”oficially” revealed by Ayu.
I wonder what.s new in that album cuz Bye Bye Darling and Melody are definitely old demos too. The interludes are probably old too. That leave us with Song 4 U, Missing, snowy kiss, untitled 2, Ivy and You & me.
Missing, snowy kiss and Ivy sounds old too

But I don't think Love Again is less valuable because it could be filled by old unreleased songs. It's just that some songs may not fit in an album but they fit all together in this one.
What ruined Love Again was the lie of two singles released as mini albums