Ayumi in SLT = oh, another GaGa copy? - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 25th March 2010, 07:42 AM
Will Initiate

Oh well Ayu was just apparently wears the clothes from the same designer
That's just something like this year's trend for me, not copying

I AM ESSITED! Taeyeon Thank you miroro

code:exoaffxtionnanaseven

Old 25th March 2010, 07:55 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Oh, for crying out loud. It's just one word that Ayu is merely EMULATING (which is not copying, and I haven't seen the Slt PV yet so I can't say anything about it) and that is:

MADONNA

cropped by me, fanart by the-chokey

Old 25th March 2010, 07:55 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Ageha View Post
This. It's only because the U.S. shoves everything they produce in everybody's face. It's hard not to have at least heard her name whenever they try hard as they can to toss it into every media around the world. If GaGa came from Japan, she would have never gotten to be one tenth as popular as she is now, and comparing her to Ayu would be like comparing......Ne-Yo to Michael Jackson. (Random, I know, sorry. >_>)
Japan not only doesn't care about making it outside of the country, but they often even don't want to. Ayumi obviously doesn't care about making it out of Asia, and we know she'd be fine if she was only known in Japan. But despite all that, she has tens, maybe even hundreds, of thousands of Westerners, alone, who know her name. That's a very impressive accomplishment, something that GaGa could only dream of achieving.
"shoves everything they produce in everybody's face" sounds to much noble to be true

the world is plagued by USA companies in every corner of the planet.
USA can promote and publishing anything they want, anytime, anywhere.
is all about money and power.

that not make an artist bigger

Last edited by perfectodub; 25th March 2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:16 AM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by all.night.raver View Post
I am not an ignorant fan of GaGa. I don't even know if I would call myself a fan. I'm a fan of her music, not really a fan of her though. I'm just an un-biased Ayu fan. Seriously, there is not a day that goes by that I do not think about Ayu. I'm amazed by her aura, her beauty, her talent, her music, her voice, her eyes, her hair, her skin, her clothes... just everything. I pretty much would do anything in the name of Ayumi Hamasaki. But this video looks GaGa-ish. Not a bad thing. Just saying. You can't say that it doesn't look GaGa-ish, just a teeny tiny little bit?
My message is for people who accuse Ayumi of copying Lady gaga. You did not accuse her, right? If you think it remind you of Lady Gaga, that is fine, however if you say Ayumi copied her then it is wrong.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:29 AM
count down Initiate

Jesus this thread needs to be locked, thrashed and burned pronto.

Honestly, the nature of the thread is fine - what's wrong with discussing if Ayu took inspiration from Gaga or vice-versa, or rather what's wrong with discussing both Ayu & Gaga being huge fashion fans? But really when immature children rush in here to defend Ayu/Gaga it just gets really annoying and retarded imo.

My opinion is, obviously Ayu didn't copy Gaga... wtf really. Neither Ayu or Gaga is your typical run-off-the-mill pop artistes who just do everything their managers tell them to. They have aspirations and minds of their own, and they have a hand in almost EVERYTHING that comes out from them, be it music, videos or fashion.

As mentioned, the fashion in Slt are haute couture fashion which just so happens to be kind of stuff Gaga is into. Does this mean Ayu copied Gaga? Um, no... sorry to Gaga stans (wherever you are, AHS or youtube, I don't give a ****)... Ayu has done way weirder things in the past.

And now for Ayu stans who are bashing Gaga just cos you precious goddess is getting accused of copying. stfu Gaga isn't your new object to bash after Kuu, kthx.

Both Ayu & Gaga are such awesome artistes that it's just painful to be a fan of both and having to see stans killing each other over things like this...

I'm just really sick and tired of all the bashing of other artistes and Ayu... and it has become so prominent recently...

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 25th March 2010, 08:43 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Wow.

Um sorry people around the world like music from the US?

The US music industry doesn't make people in other places buy their music. Japan is the second largest industry in the world. They have the munny to promote and publicize their artists in other parts of the world.

Why don't they? Oh yeah. Because they probably wouldn't reap the same profits of what they get in their home country.

Yes, everywhere, it's all about munny.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 25th March 2010, 08:46 AM
forgiveness Initiate

^^woo nice thoughts waterballoon, I agree with you
Old 25th March 2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

If anything, Gaga is the western Ayu...
Old 25th March 2010, 09:57 AM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
Wow.

Um sorry people around the world like music from the US?

The US music industry doesn't make people in other places buy their music. Japan is the second largest industry in the world. They have the munny to promote and publicize their artists in other parts of the world.

Why don't they? Oh yeah. Because they probably wouldn't reap the same profits of what they get in their home country.

Yes, everywhere, it's all about munny.
American singers don't make the same profit in foreign countries either.

The current trend is english language songs. Not japanese. I think that is why. Someone said Ayumi doesn't care about her foreign fans but she is writing more and more in english. I don't think she do it because it is exotic trendy thing but because she really desire to communicate to all of us.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:31 AM
Will Initiate

@waterballon : Nice thoughs dude!

I AM ESSITED! Taeyeon Thank you miroro

code:exoaffxtionnanaseven

Old 25th March 2010, 10:41 AM
winding road Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorphose View Post
I don't think Lady GaGa is copying Ayumi and I don't think Ayumi is copying Lady GaGa. If either of them is copying ANYONE, it's Madonna
THIS x100000000000000000.

Because Lady Gaga is hugely popular worldwide now (we can't argue with it ofc), every well-known female singer is compared to her. Because we're in AHS, community about Ayumi Hamasaki, it's normal that she's compared to her and vice versa. That's all. Other artist/musician will become famous also because of appearance and style and everyone will say that other artists copied her/him. And so on and so on. It's Gaga time now and she can feel safe because she's ~original~ at all. But is it true?...
Old 25th March 2010, 10:50 AM
still alone Initiate

I love both ayu and Gaga. But just because Gaga makes more controversy everyone now tend to link something crazy as GAGA. the SLT PV might remind some people of Gaga, but ayu did it really ellegant and nicely.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:19 AM
P.S II Initiate

what i'm really appreciated is that, no matter how "weird" ayu does in the costumes/styles/performances/PVs, she keeps them all ELEGANT and pretty.

not some weirdo or freak... and i think this is the biggest difference.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:21 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Delurking (hi!) to add a couple things. I should preface this by saying that I've been a huge fan of Ayu for a little less than half of my life, and my love for Lady GaGa has grown exponentially in the last few months.

1. Not everyone is as literate in fashion as Ayu, Lady GaGa, and some of the members on this board are. Lady GaGa became famous wearing McQueen, so a lot of people are going to equate McQueen designs with her simply because they don't know any better. Although I think some GaGa influence is inevitable--simply because of the sheer cultural saturation we're experiencing right now--I don't doubt that Ayu knows enough about the fashion industry to know McQueen is a go-to designer if she wants to represent England in the best of its fashion (and the most recognizable--partially thanks to Lady GaGa).

To me, the most obvious difference between the designs we typically see on Lady GaGa and those we see on Ayu is that, while GaGa often wears strange, even unflattering shapes that challenge our ideas of femininity and female sexuality, Ayu plays it (comparatively) safe. Even the more bizarre outfits--like the two checkered suits--are still structured to give her a traditionally-feminine figure. This makes me think it's more about the British fashion as British Fashion than a larger statement (however pretentious). In other words, yeah they use the same designers, but the clothes' narrative payoff in the video (so far) is different.

2. A big part of Lady GaGa's shtick is the creation of pop culture pastiche. She isn't just ~copying~ legends like Madonna and Michael Jackson for the sake of trying to emulate them and their success; she's consciously trying to evoke them in her themed performances about fame and pop culture consumption.

Ayu has also mimicked Madonna in her performances without coming out and saying "this is a statement about fame" or anything. However, I don't think we should ignore the fact that this album in particular is called Rock'n'Roll Circus and includes extensive photo and PV shoots in London. If she wasn't trying to consciously evoke other artists in previous performances, than I think it's safe to interpret this album, at least, as having an element of pastiche.

Of course, some people write off pastiche as just another despicable case of plagiarism, and not everyone buys into Lady GaGa's act; this post may be totally meaningless to you. I feel better putting this out there when there's so much hate flying around. Both Ayu and Lady GaGa are too awesome for this kind of debate.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:58 PM
Voyage Initiate

I don't understand why people feel the need to compare Ayu to Lady Gaga all the time.

Ayu's been around a lot longer than Gaga, so if anything Gaga is the one taking ideas and inspiration from her. (But I agree on what some others have said, BOTH of them are highly inspired by Madonna.) She's been doing weird PVs and wearing high fashion designer clothes before going to England for Rock'n'Roll Circus.

I love both Ayu and Lady Gaga, I'm a fan of both of them, I've seen both of them in concert and follow their releases (ok, maybe I follow Ayu a little more closely than Gaga, but anyway) and I don't compare them every chance I get, every time either of them releases something new.

Not to sound mean or offensive, but some people really need to stop obsessing, it's getting a little out of control...
BTS Wings Tour 2017
G-Dragon M.O.T.T.E World Tour 2017
Taeyang White Night World Tour 2017
Old 25th March 2010, 01:53 PM
YOU Initiate

For me there's nothing similar.
Nothing against GaGa, but she didn't invent these outfits, only because her songs are popular therefore when talking about "weird" outfits, people may think about her.

BTW, Sexy little things song reminds me of Annie, which is a great thing
Old 25th March 2010, 02:07 PM
Who... Initiate

Sigh. I'll just say that I agree with those who said it's about people's minds currently connecting avant garde fashion, which is a lot of the famous designer clothes atm, to Lady Gaga. I have nothing against her and find her music catchy but the all of the neverending comments and references to Gaga are starting to make me really detest seeing that name here on the Ayu boards again.

I remember in the news clip about the Sexy Little Things PV the host said one of the PVs theme's is "fashionable world". Shouldn't that be clear enough. If you watch almost any of the big designer fashion shows you'll see lots of Lady Gagas walking down the runway.

BRILLIANCE

Old 25th March 2010, 02:09 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

the one annoying thing about this is how many times do we (generalized ayu fans) say that other jpop artists look/sound/act like ayu?

i mean...it's just now that ayu is the target people get all defensive.

lady gaga is known world wide, while ayu is not. people who know nothing about ayu will always think she copied gaga because they don't know her past.

PLUS, ayu hasn't done any weird things in so long. so it's easy to say she's been re-inspired by gaga (for some people).

or whatever.

my opinion is--i don't care, haha. these clothes are readily available to anyone (with the money), so unless gaga has something specifically made for her and no one else, people can't be accused of copying her.

i mean gaga's green outfit in bad romance was in a fashion show being modeled by random models before she got it, so it's not "gaga's" in any way.

yes, she's re-introduced american/western/world audiences to weird fashion, but by no means is she the first.

i mean really now.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 25th March 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 25th March 2010, 02:21 PM
glitter Initiate

btw when i first saw this thread i saw "Ayumi STDs" and I was like omfg whatt?!!!? xD
Old 25th March 2010, 02:21 PM
Replace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatstacey View Post
Delurking (hi!) to add a couple things. I should preface this by saying that I've been a huge fan of Ayu for a little less than half of my life, and my love for Lady GaGa has grown exponentially in the last few months.

1. Not everyone is as literate in fashion as Ayu, Lady GaGa, and some of the members on this board are. Lady GaGa became famous wearing McQueen, so a lot of people are going to equate McQueen designs with her simply because they don't know any better. Although I think some GaGa influence is inevitable--simply because of the sheer cultural saturation we're experiencing right now--I don't doubt that Ayu knows enough about the fashion industry to know McQueen is a go-to designer if she wants to represent England in the best of its fashion (and the most recognizable--partially thanks to Lady GaGa).

To me, the most obvious difference between the designs we typically see on Lady GaGa and those we see on Ayu is that, while GaGa often wears strange, even unflattering shapes that challenge our ideas of femininity and female sexuality, Ayu plays it (comparatively) safe. Even the more bizarre outfits--like the two checkered suits--are still structured to give her a traditionally-feminine figure. This makes me think it's more about the British fashion as British Fashion than a larger statement (however pretentious). In other words, yeah they use the same designers, but the clothes' narrative payoff in the video (so far) is different.

2. A big part of Lady GaGa's shtick is the creation of pop culture pastiche. She isn't just ~copying~ legends like Madonna and Michael Jackson for the sake of trying to emulate them and their success; she's consciously trying to evoke them in her themed performances about fame and pop culture consumption.

Ayu has also mimicked Madonna in her performances without coming out and saying "this is a statement about fame" or anything. However, I don't think we should ignore the fact that this album in particular is called Rock'n'Roll Circus and includes extensive photo and PV shoots in London. If she wasn't trying to consciously evoke other artists in previous performances, than I think it's safe to interpret this album, at least, as having an element of pastiche.

Of course, some people write off pastiche as just another despicable case of plagiarism, and not everyone buys into Lady GaGa's act; this post may be totally meaningless to you. I feel better putting this out there when there's so much hate flying around. Both Ayu and Lady GaGa are too awesome for this kind of debate.
QFT. As far as I'm concerned, this post should end the thread. I wish more people like you would delurk and contribute, thatstacey - most intelligent post I've seen at AHS in years.

Tags
ayumi, fashion, hamasaki ayumi, lady gaga, sexy little things