[Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread ~Feel the love / Merry-go-round Single~ - Page 17 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 6th February 2014, 01:06 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinu View Post
I'm not talking about Ayu VS Aiko in the least lol

My first comment on this was because I read two or three comments on the line of...

"I don't get why she sells so much/morr than Ayu, all her songs are boring to me".
Like that reason only had to mean that she had to do worse. WTF?

Then I went on to enumerate a number of similar artists (Ayaka, Yuzu, Ikimonogakari etc.) that have also been able to rival Ayu in sales because they are GOOD artists and people like them. The same as there are people who like Ayu and others that don't.

So it wasn't an Aiko thing at all.
I suggest re-reading those posts because looking back, nothing of the sort was really said.
Old 6th February 2014, 07:51 AM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumisrael View Post
Btw "aiko has ", well selling 60,000 is POOR compared to what popular acts like idol groups or Johnny or popular boy bands sell for singles in Japan. Solo female artists in Japan are pretty much dead on the singles area and it won't be long in the albums area too if a new solo female artists will get popular.
The curious thing about the Japanese music industry is that albums sell far more than singles for solo acts but singles sell equal or more than albums for group acts. So when it comes to solo acts I would tend to look more at the album sales to judge their popularity.

As a very rough estimate, I think ayu's singles sell around 1/3 of her album sales so the numbers for FTL is higher than expected for me. But then again the cover was gorgeous (only for CD+DVD version).
Old 6th February 2014, 09:45 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Quote:
It's official. Solo female artists don't do so well on the single charts anymore. Namie joined the club with not so amazing numbers. Look at how idol groups like morning musume sell (let's not even mention AKB48 and their sub units). We need new popular solo females in Japan, urgently.
Namie has been president of that club since like 2002. She's never been a strong single seller so this isn't something new. Not talking about her TK era obviously. There was also a lot of insinuating that TSUKI would sell worse/the same as big boys cry. Idol groups like Morning Musume only sell well cause they do a shit load of events and live concerts. Basically to attend the mini live concert you have to buy a copy of the single. There's also other perks like handshake events. That's why MM sells like 144k first week...but only 158k overall. AKB and their sister groups use those tactics too but unlike MM they're actually legitimately popular with the general public. Ayu and Namie could do that too and sell like 100k first week but they would probably get criticized for it.

Anyway didn't y'all learn your lesson in 2009 when WILD/Dr. came out? You can't only look at single sales. People here were trashing her saying that her popularity was already over etc. and how it was a huge flop compared to 60s70s80s. Then Past>FUTURE came out...then Checkmate!...then Uncontrolled...oops? We could bring DVD sales into this too.

Quote:
I think that people here know very well that ayu is not at the top or as popular anymore and everyone admits it
if people were so accepting then namie wouldn't be mentioned in every single oricon thread. i know sometimes namie fans start the discussion and taunt ayu fans but they shouldn't be solely blamed. then we have the same tired excuses as to why namie and ayu's careers are the way they are today. there shouldn't be constant comparisons as a means to try and validate ayu's success.
Old 6th February 2014, 01:52 PM
Lelio Protector

With ayu there's nothing to validate as she is no longer one of the tops and again, her status in Japanese culture exists if anyone wants it or not. But I'm sure that the namie stans who provoke the ayu ones like you mentioned are doing it just for the purpose of validating that namie is the best selling solo female right now, which everyone know already. To add to that, they can't hear, true or not, stuff like her popularity is decreasing, like some ayu fans weren't back in the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAngel View Post
The curious thing about the Japanese music industry is that albums sell far more than singles for solo acts but singles sell equal or more than albums for group acts. So when it comes to solo acts I would tend to look more at the album sales to judge their popularity.

As a very rough estimate, I think ayu's singles sell around 1/3 of her album sales so the numbers for FTL is higher than expected for me. But then again the cover was gorgeous (only for CD+DVD version).
You're right, but don't forget that ayu used to excel in single sales for a long time. She and AKB48 are the only females who sold over 20 million singles copies, so far.

Last edited by ayumisrael; 6th February 2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 6th February 2014, 01:59 PM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

Itano Tomomi's new single "little" is selling less than Feel The Love so far. For Ayu to be outselling the 2nd biggest solo star from AKB48 at this point in her career is absolutely astounding.

If anything Feel The Love proves that Ayu still has the biggest hardcore fan base of all the females in Japan. Sure it's sad her appeal with the general public has dwindled but to still have the most amount of hardcore fans is very nice.

倖田來未
浜崎あゆみ
中森明菜
松田聖子
鈴木亜美

Old 6th February 2014, 02:00 PM
Lelio Protector

Yeah, ayu's appeal to the general public pretty much died unfortunately, but I suppose she really is not interested in holding it, and is more interested in keeping her fanbase.

(If tomomi is 2nd so who's 1st? =P)
Old 6th February 2014, 02:43 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Tomochin is following Ayu's path with this single.
zero promotion = bad sales

As for who's first or second or whatever in AKB... well, have a look at last year's solo singles (first week - final sales):

Itano Tomomi - 44,630 - 55,121
Maeda Atsuko - 60,687 - 78,834
Kasai Tomomi - 18,550 - 23,31
Takahashi Minami - 85,493 - 103,066
Watanabe Mayu - 67,329 - 81,752
Kashiwagi Yuki - 65,736 - 76,220
Iwasa Misaki - 18,929 - 29,825
Kuramochi Asuka - 31,424 - 35,285
Old 6th February 2014, 05:18 PM
As if.. Initiate

Y'all should help me write my research paper, lol.

CRISIS MAKE UP

Old 6th February 2014, 08:36 PM
End roll Initiate

People really need to get over the Ayu vs Namie thing. If I were them I'd feel completely ashamed about how each fans often treat each other. The two obviously respect each other (Namie being seen at Ayu's concerts multiple times/ Ayu mentioning Namie in an interview etc) there's really no need to turn everything into a competition. Seriously, both of them have had outstanding success in their careers and while I'm not a fan of Namie's music, they both deserve huge props.
Old 6th February 2014, 08:39 PM
Secret Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by toLOVE View Post
lol +1
Old 6th February 2014, 09:53 PM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by toLOVE View Post
im dying hahahaha!!!
Old 6th February 2014, 11:04 PM
monochrome Initiate

by the way. out of topic...
not only her japanese fans that decreasing...
the active member here in AHS is start decreasing too...

Old 6th February 2014, 11:09 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Active members at J-Pop forums in general are decreasing, to be honest.
Old 7th February 2014, 12:57 AM
1 LOVE Initiate

^What could be the reason ?? Mmm, K-Pop ?

TWICE

Old 7th February 2014, 01:05 AM
Lelio Protector

Aren't AHS and jpopcentral the only active/popular jpop forums? Are there any others with a lot of users (or at all?) lol.

But let's try to stay on topic.

Maybe Ftl/M-g-r can chart for another week and reach 37,500.
Old 7th February 2014, 01:22 AM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chu-lips View Post
by the way. out of topic...
not only her japanese fans that decreasing...
the active member here in AHS is start decreasing too...
Probably because there's less to discuss: frequent releases, world tours, tv lives etc.

For a single with no promotion and 'unsafe' songs and considering the sales of Love Again album, this single is really doing well. Was hoping for 40k though
Old 7th February 2014, 03:39 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

I know it's off topic, but are AHS and jpopcentral the ONLY jpop forums that are really active? I swear that there's more...
Old 7th February 2014, 04:12 AM
INSPIRE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Active members at J-Pop forums in general are decreasing, to be honest.
I think less people are getting to like Jpop as the years go by... And people who tended to like is giving it up due to the lack of innovation, the distance that the western audience is located in terms of enjoying the whole thing like tv lives, promotion, concerts, people to talk about it in real life... (I don't talk about ayu with anyone ) and the language barrier is also a reason...
Old 7th February 2014, 06:42 AM
Who... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brener View Post
I think less people are getting to like Jpop as the years go by... And people who tended to like is giving it up due to the lack of innovation, the distance that the western audience is located in terms of enjoying the whole thing like tv lives, promotion, concerts, people to talk about it in real life... (I don't talk about ayu with anyone ) and the language barrier is also a reason...
This is very true. I think Japanese artistes need to do promotion more, because seriously this lack of promotion (including promo online all over the place) and very little opportunities for oversea fans, etc. is one of the reasons why K-pop is taking control over the audiences. Of course that there are various reasons of why people prefer K-pop more, not to say that it always appears cool looking to the public too... while J-pop is completely a different thing.

Set by YuriChan

Last edited by ayu-michan; 7th February 2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 7th February 2014, 07:33 AM
INSPIRE Initiate

Truth to be told Japan never wanted to be anything outside its territory, they always tended to be the most isolated country in terms of protecting their things and serving only their ideals and their people. I'm graduated in International Relations so I read a lot that Japan never wanted be a leader power even in Asia.

Japanese music industry make music for the Japanese people, they don't have any interest in selling their stuff overseas. So unlikely South Korea which is trying to gain more status in the western hemisphere, Japan won't ever try to do that, it just doesn't suit them and they don't care if J-Music is losing western fans, it's like they didn't even care we exist in the first place.

I see that a lot of indie J-Rock bands and small Pop singers tend to explore more their abroad experiences touring in Europe, USA and sometimes in Brazil (the country with the largest number of Japanese outside Japan), but it's because they're not attached to big record labels and they don't sell well even in Japan, so they don't have to maintain a certain behavior or anything, they don't have nothing to lose. But that is pretty much different when we talk about huge idols, like ayu, EXILE, AKB48.

Last edited by brener; 7th February 2014 at 07:41 AM.

Tags
feel the love, merry-go-round, oricon