[2006] what's better? ULTRA BLUE Vs (miss)understood - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Asian Music Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: what's better?
(miss)understood 155 64.32%
ULTRA BLUE 86 35.68%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st October 2007, 09:55 PM
Are You Wake Up? Initiate

ULTRA BLUE
BLUE
THIS IS LOVE
KEEP TRYIN'
NICHIYO NO ASA
COLORS
BE MY LAST
PASSION

(miss)understood
Bold&Delicious
Ladies Night
is this LOVE?
(miss)understood
alterna
Will

I choose ULTRA BLUE beacause I like more songs.

Msmiyabi formerly known as Akurei
MsMiyabi + Koda Kumi!
Proud Koda Kumi Fan Since 2000 & Namie Amuro Fan Since 1995<3
Old 31st October 2007, 10:01 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Ultra blue was so much better than (miss)understood
Old 1st November 2007, 07:03 PM
SCAR Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Doubt View Post
(miss)understood is vastly better than ULTRA BLUE in my opinion. While I did enjoy the consistent ethereal feel of ULTRA BLUE and felt it was by far Utada's most mature album to date, it was an enormous step backward in so many aspects. In particular, the arrangements of the songs are sloppy, repetitive, and sound surprisingly dated. Strangely, I found that the slickest sounding song was the oldest, COLORS. It really is a shame because the songs are all really well-written and flow flawlessly, but the arrangements really don't do them justice. I felt that every song could have been absolutely stellar but as a result of the poor arrangements, most of the album sounded like filler. At first, I liked the album, but by my third listen it became almost painful how dated and monotonous the production sounded. I liked the electronic elements, but I wanted something that sounded more polished or organic, like Madonna's Ray of Light album, the space-age thumpers of Hikki's own Exodus, or the glossy messy-ness of Ayu's RAINBOW album. The other huge problem I have with the album are the vocals. Utada has a lovely voice, but she seems very uncomfortable in her upper register. Unfortunately, I found that on most tracks Utada was trying to sing much higher than she is capable of and was noticeably straining. As a result, very often in the album her vocals either sounded hoarse and raspy or shrill and piercing, and she showed little control over her vibrato. Overall, the consistent ethereal feel and excellent song writing really shine, but at the same time the cheaply done arrangements and technically poor vocals detracted hugely from what could have been an incredible album.

Conversely, I was blown away by (miss)understood, though admittedly it is a love it or hate it type of album. Your enjoyment of the album really depends on how broad your musical tastes are and if you don’t mind cohesiveness being sacrificed in favour of variety. The album is the perfect showcase of Ayu’s incredible versatility and ability to change. It presents such a vast array of musical genres and styles to the listener, ranging from electro pop to funk to sweeping balladry, while still feeling classically Ayu. Furthermore, each track is undeniably polished and refreshing. Even more impressively is how fluidly the album flows despite having such distinctly different and diverse tracks. As with most Ayu albums, the tracks are generally ordered by genre, but the album doesn’t feel disjointed at all. Although every track feels very unique, there is always an underlying emotional theme that flows into the next track. For instance, the album starts off with a burst of exuberance and style with Bold & Delicious, then flows into an equally bouncy song with a slightly darker, off-beat side with STEP you, which flows into the haunting yet still poppy Ladies Night. The album is structured perfectly to never bore the listener but also avoids interrupting the continuity of the album. I loved how it feels very bubbly at first and slowly becomes darker, moving from despair to anger to melancholy, and slowly becomes more uplifting, ending with the sombre but optimistic tracks. I will say that although it flows well, overall because there is so much variety it detracts a lot from the coherency of the album. But that’s the album’s charm, you either get it or you don’t.

Personally though, I think everything I mentioned is somewhat trivial when I listen to music. Ultimately, what it come down to is which album has the better songs, and that is where I think (miss)understood totally trumps ULTRA BLUE. Upon first listen, I thought all the songs from last year’s singles, Ladies Night and rainy day, and the two interludes were absolute stunners and easily some of Ayu’s best work. Upon repeated listens, I began to appreciate the aforementioned songs even more and grew to love all of the album tracks as well. Conversely, on ULTRA BLUE I liked all the tracks but I only loved One Night Magic, COLORS, and Passion on first listen. After multiple listens though, I was expecting to like the album even more, but the flaws of the tracks became more and more apparent. Even still, ULTRA BLUE is a worthwhile album and I might have put too much emphasis on the negative aspects of it, but (miss)understood is by far my favourite album of any artist. To me ULTRA BLUE seems like an album that’s easy to like but hard to love, while (miss)understood seems like an album that’s easy to love and easy to hate.

Ick, long post. I feel sorry for anyone who actually read this whole thing.
wow you write really well, and yeah i totally agree with everything you said
Old 18th December 2007, 04:42 AM
Boys & Girls Initiate

I can't choose. I love them both, and they're so stylistically different that it's not really fair to pit them against each other.
Old 18th December 2007, 04:45 AM
walking proud Initiate

I love Ayu and Utada very much, but since I couldn't decide which album I liked more I just chose (miss)understood cuz I love Ayu more xD
Old 18th December 2007, 04:54 AM
sending mail Initiate

Ultra Blue is much better ;]

Old 24th December 2007, 05:18 AM
Bold & Delicious Initiate

I like (miss)understood ^^

"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair"

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=742893759
Old 24th December 2007, 03:46 PM
monochrome Initiate

(m)u is Ayu's best album imo. Great flow great variety and some of her best tracks ever (STEP you Will Heaven & Rainy Day). ULTRA BLUE is my personal favorite when it comes to Hikki's albums but that's probrably because all her other albums (besides Deep River) were rubbish imo.
Old 25th December 2007, 07:13 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

(miss)understood

I hear a voice saying "don't give up"
I remember the words
"Your happiness is my happiness"
Old 4th February 2008, 10:31 PM
Sky high Protector

I prefer (miss)understood
Old 4th February 2008, 10:34 PM
still alone Initiate

ULTRA BLUE
(miss)understood isn't SOOO good for me

Ayu is MY ALL

Old 11th March 2008, 12:41 AM
End roll Initiate

i love (m)u but ultra blue is good too. just for me, (m)u is more my style...
Old 11th March 2008, 12:42 AM
End roll Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayulover_06 View Post
I love Ayu and Utada very much, but since I couldn't decide which album I liked more I just chose (miss)understood cuz I love Ayu more xD
lol! nice decision!
Old 11th March 2008, 02:06 PM
no more words Initiate

(miss)understood
Old 11th March 2008, 02:09 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

i choose ultra blue for no reason... hehe...
i just love the song in it better than (miss)understod

||Youtube||Twitter||

set made by apple-pi

Old 20th March 2008, 12:14 AM
winding road Initiate

It is a battle between my favorite albums of the two artists...(Though, if Memorial address counted as an album, then I wouldn't have a problem here XD)

I'm gonna go with Ultra Blue, because unlike (m)u, I dislike none of the songs on it. (Beautiful Day is not so beautiful imo) If it means anything, I haven't bought UB and do have (m)u, so it's sort of like a consolation prize for the album lol

Old 20th March 2008, 12:15 AM
winding road Initiate

EDIT: Shoot! Sorry, made a double post by accident ;_;

Old 22nd March 2008, 06:44 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

I just about despise ULTRA BLUE, although I adored Passion and all its versions. (miss)understood has a lot of musical variety (gospel, 80's pop, etc.) and songs I can listen to on repeat - it's too bad the CD cover is butt-ugly.

I might like ULTRA BLUE more if I give another complete listen, but it's still nowhere as good as (miss)understood.
Old 17th December 2008, 04:09 AM
glitter Initiate

I just don't like utada

so obviously I voted for (m)u.
Old 17th December 2008, 04:22 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

I voted for ultra blue back in 2006 when I was in love with the album...

today...I may have voted for (m)u. It's just a completely solid album and I like every single song on it, and if i'm going to be fair, I think it wins. ULTRA BLUE is quite the experimental album...and well...I think I give it more credit because of it.

Oh No_Doubt, where are you and your sensibility and objectivity.

Passion, however, owns every song on earth

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Tags
(miss)understood, hikaru utada, ultra blue