[Utada Hikaru] 59th Thread: New best-of album, SCIENCE FICTION (2024) - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Old 3rd April 2024, 09:14 PM
Voyage Initiate

OMG the Deep River & Ultra Blue PVs are tiny!
Old 9th April 2024, 04:47 PM
Initiate

omg, "traveling" new ver sound so good in her latest CM...

『綾鷹 meets 宇多田ヒカル ‘traveling’』スペシャルムービー
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmeIXhK4c1U
Old 9th April 2024, 05:29 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

album is already out.
Old 9th April 2024, 09:11 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Listening now on apple music (bought it at cdjapan but will not open the album anyway)...

Hikari... interesting... sound like Donkey Kong music..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi|kshake View Post
OMG the Deep River & Ultra Blue PVs are tiny!
I hate that they turned all pvs into 4:3 format. Why did they do that? The original ones were 16:9...

Last edited by bluegie; 9th April 2024 at 09:13 PM.
Old 9th April 2024, 10:29 PM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie View Post

Hikari... interesting... sound like Donkey Kong music..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I read this and had to run and listen to it and IT DOES SOUND LIKE DONKEY KONG MUSIC I'm really laughing!!!

Love it tho!! very underwater stage!
"Being part of a group like this, with you guys! is awesome! so I salute you all." (1st July 2010, 11:17 PM)
"Adiós." (8th May 2011, 02:13 PM)
Old 9th April 2024, 11:19 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Oh yeah it does sound like underwater stage as well lol.

I actually like re-recordings (probably except ATY). She managed to give modern vibes to Hikari and traveling. Gotta listen to those 202X Mixes and see if they do good or bad to those classics .
Old 10th April 2024, 03:20 PM
BEST Initiate

While I appreciate new takes on material in general, Deep River is a masterpiece of an album and I'd really like for her to not touch and ruin anything else from it. The new version of Traveling is...not good. Ultra Blue and Heart Station are full of duds she can mess with as much as she'd like.

Edit: Listening to the album, the new mixes are fine. But the re-recordings are a no. Hikari is also...rough.

Last edited by voltron; 10th April 2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10th April 2024, 04:23 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Debuted with over 100k copies on Oricon Daily Albums

i actually enjoyed very much the new versions, i believe it doesnt ruin the old material, and you can still listen to the old ones ^^
Old 11th April 2024, 01:21 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I'm not the biggest Utada Stan. It took my a lot of time to get into their discography and it was a slow process to find a liking to everything they put out, that said rewatching the TVs I came to a realization that I already had some time ago: Utadas Music, whille always a testament to its time and Utadas personal circumstances, never sounds outdated like a lot of their peers music. Utadas discography is also one of the few enigmas in the J-Pop landscape, putting out rather crafted bodies of work with only a very few overall (compared to the average "female" J-Pop singer).

SCIENCE FICTION is what it is, a rather bland Best-of like the last few Single Collections. Utadas music never was fancy for the most part and I guess that's what the charm is (and the reason for what I stated above).

I do think the new mixes are superior to its originals. The sound quality is so good. These new versions just made me realize how much of Utadas vocals are muffled in its original and the addition of new instruments (or maybe just a polish of what was there?!) really makes them fuller.

As for the re-recordings: they are exactly what I would expect from a "2024" Version of those songs, and for that matter they are rather clever. Compared to Namies rerecordings or even Taylor Swifts, who are just vocally updated versions of their originals, Utadas are more of a self-cover. If we never knew these songs, we wouldn''t question them at all.

For that matter I can't share the sentiment of "ruining" older works. Firstly, those are Utadas Songs, and if they don't feel consent with those versions anymore, they are free to alter them to their liking. It is, as a matter of fact, what most artist do during live shows if they have an extended career anyways. Other than that tho, they are not taking away your memories with the originals. Especially in our day and age, where music is this readily available, you are free to chose what to listen to - and in this case which version.

I enjoy the updated version of traveling a lot. Do I think it's better than its original? - probably not. But I like the freshness of it and it brings me new memories I enjoy.

Last edited by thinkingoutloud89; 11th April 2024 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11th April 2024, 04:12 PM
BEST Initiate

Yes, I'm well aware that the original versions will always be there for me to enjoy. My hope is that these new and lackluster versions don't become a staple for them. Personally, I find that they take away from the greatness of the original works instead of add something new. It's not that I ever expected they would be better than the original, but I feel like they don't add anything worthwhile - and I think their vocals sound really rough. Particularly in Hikari there are parts where they could've benefitted from changing the key or doing something more drastically different. Not to make an Ayu x Hikki "competition," but I think of the 10th anniversary re-recordings - while I don't like them better than the originals, they added some new color and flavor that I can appreciate as their own thing. I just wish the Hikki songs did the same for me.

Obviously most everyone here disagrees and really likes them, and I think that's great for you all. For me, it's just disappointing. Maybe "ruin" is being taken too literally when I say it, and again I do appreciate the idea behind it all, the execution just feels poor and unnecessary.
Old 12th April 2024, 08:58 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Hmm I don't see why it should add something, as enhancing the song is not the main goal. Something I already pointed out. It is simply a different version. traveling has updated vocals and a fresh sound, which I fairly enjoy. Hikari is like a different remix, not even really comparable to the original and it shouldn't be, since it is a version its its own. I also enjoy this new take for what it is and it certainly is what you call "a new color and flavor" that you simply don't seem to enjoy. Which is also okay, but it does not take away from the fact that it is exactly what you seek. Lastly I don't think they are "poor" since this album is sonically one of the strongest Utada albums, as everything sounds polished and clear.

Last edited by thinkingoutloud89; 12th April 2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old 18th April 2024, 07:29 PM
Initiate

done listening to the whole <SCIENCE FICTION>, and i love it!
"Goodbye Happiness" and "traveling" are my top 2 fav!
Old 23rd April 2024, 06:30 PM
Initiate

Hikaru Utada - First Love (CDTV LIVE . LIVE)
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKVOF1ufnvM

Tags
bad mode, hikaru utada, hikki, utada hikaru