Ladies Night+can ayu speak english? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 1st January 2006, 01:17 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Ladies Night+can ayu speak english?

Hey. I recently watched the PV for ladies night, and the bit in english is spoken really well. Is that actually Ayu saying that?
Also, alot of the time she's speaking a little english. Does that mean she speaks English?
I hope she brings her music over here!

BTW, Does anyone have the lyrics/translation of Ladies Night? Or even what she was saying. Something along the lines of...

.......... Hate it, but even so, you don't ever need to think you have failed.

I dunno what she ways saying, the bass played over it!
Old 1st January 2006, 01:24 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

She doesn't speak fluent english. if you watch her concerts you just hear say "sank you" "come on!" "here we go". and if my memory corrects me someone said that wasnt her speaking in the video.. There is a translation of the song somewhere here but I don't think the rap part is included.
Old 1st January 2006, 02:33 AM
Endless sorrow Guardian

I think she speaks a littel english. Mostly just polite phrases etc... (she thanks the people in her Bold & Delicious pv) but i think i read somewhere that she herself said her english isn't good. For example when she had her vocal training etc... in new york before her debut she didn't actually speak any english to anyone or even leave her appartment/room much. She had a handler who did everything for her, including getting food etc.. so i wouldn't be surprised if her english was sub par.

I do remember her speaking on the mtv asia awards a few years back where i believe she said "Thankyou everybody, i love you all" after her performance.

However, even if ayu was fluent in english, i doubt she'd have success on western shores. Look at Utada for example. Exodus was a good album, but it's success (or lack of as is the case) just goes to show that sadly, asian artist have very little crossover appeal. I also believe utada's music is much more suited to a western market than ayu's, so if she can't succeed i really can't see ayu managing it.

It's a sad truth

Photobucket
Thanks a lot to xLitax for the great set ^^
I retract my previous statement... Pommy's awesome!
Bulmasman @ AHSforum.com
Old 1st January 2006, 02:46 AM
End of the World Initiate

Check here:
http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37962
(English part in Ladys Night)
Old 1st January 2006, 06:45 PM
devilayu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmasman
I think she speaks a littel english. Mostly just polite phrases etc... (she thanks the people in her Bold & Delicious pv) but i think i read somewhere that she herself said her english isn't good. For example when she had her vocal training etc... in new york before her debut she didn't actually speak any english to anyone or even leave her appartment/room much. She had a handler who did everything for her, including getting food etc.. so i wouldn't be surprised if her english was sub par.
Haha, you read that here because I was the one who translated the talk where she mentioned that stuff! ^_^

I really don't think she's at all near fluent in English. If you watch the making of B&D, she doesn't say a word of English to the make-up artist who was joking with Ayumi the whole time (I think she was laughing because of his gestures and not at what he was saying). Whether or not she is good at pronouncing the few words she knows is pointless, too. For example, the group Soulhead is amazingly good at pronouncing English (they sound fluent) but I recently found out that they don't speak English at all.
Old 1st January 2006, 07:08 PM
Initiate

i watched the making videos on my dvd and she does say SO CUTTEEE about marron to someone, and she does say THANK YOU GUYS in the bold and delicious PV

however i think it is noted that ayu didnt rap the english parts, if you look at the credit pamphlet, it says VOVOCAL (something like that) and has some girls name
Old 1st January 2006, 07:15 PM
Voyage Initiate

I don't think so, I think she can probably speak english fluently by now. She has said so many things in english. Even in the Bold & Delcious PV she says "Thank you! Thank you guys!" She even sang in english last year "White Christmas" right? And I could understand what she was singing, and she has all english titles for her songs except a few like Hanabi, and she puts english in her songs.
Well that's just my opinion, I don't know for sure weather she can speak it fluently or not. >.<
Old 1st January 2006, 07:22 PM
Are You Wake Up? Initiate

She doesn't speak english but atleast she tries. Which I think is progress and maybe she can even master the language

Msmiyabi formerly known as Akurei
MsMiyabi + Koda Kumi!
Proud Koda Kumi Fan Since 2000 & Namie Amuro Fan Since 1995<3
Old 1st January 2006, 07:42 PM
glitter Initiate

True. I don't think she's fluent with English but she has some sort of background for this language. Maybe some day she'll eventually master English.

Even if you cannot hear my voice. I'll be right beside you dear.

Set by pepper

Crossover x A Hitomi Shimatani Forum

Old 1st January 2006, 08:08 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

well, on her way through her career I think she´ve learned more or less phrases but I don´t think she can speak fluent english =)

Born By The Sword, Die By The Sword
The Fear For Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

~Yours Sincerely MortalSex
Old 1st January 2006, 08:13 PM
momentum Protector

It doesn't sound like Ayu speaking in Ladies Night. I think it's someone else. I'm sure she knows some English (from school) but doesn't get to apply it often. I'm sure she's not fluent, but she does know a good amount.
Old 1st January 2006, 08:17 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

In the video she was singing it... usually artists don't sing a part that is only backup when filmed, no?

Gimme more
Old 1st January 2006, 09:42 PM
momentum Protector

She was saying it, but it doesn't sound like her voice at all.
Old 1st January 2006, 10:13 PM
no more words Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmasman
I do remember her speaking on the mtv asia awards a few years back where i believe she said "Thankyou everybody, i love you all" after her performance.

However, even if ayu was fluent in english, i doubt she'd have success on western shores. Look at Utada for example. Exodus was a good album, but it's success (or lack of as is the case) just goes to show that sadly, asian artist have very little crossover appeal. I also believe utada's music is much more suited to a western market than ayu's, so if she can't succeed i really can't see ayu managing it.

It's a sad truth
I do remember that she looked rather confused when Mandy Moore was speaking to her.

And Exodue most likely didn't succeed because there wasn't a lot of publicity for the album. If it was like Britney Spears who had her face everywhere when her album came out then it might have been successful.

~ last.fm ~ crochet blog ~ twitter ~

Old 2nd January 2006, 01:58 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Ayu was learning how to speak English - But I think that was from a few years back, so maybe she knows more than we think she does
Old 2nd January 2006, 02:43 AM
I am... Initiate

the only english ive heard her speak, is Someday My Prince Will Come, White Christmas, "thank you guys", "put yur hands", "c'mon c'mon c'mon!", and "ok"
Old 2nd January 2006, 02:51 AM
Ayumi no Yume

MAN you people.
She can speak english.
If you look online or do research, MOST JAPANESE CAN SPEAK ENGLISH - maybe not PERFECT, FLUENT english, but english.

Her concerts are no proof. She uses a Japanese accent because she's talking to a JAPANESE crowd.

If most Japanese know ENGLISH, why wouldn't Japan's most famous/best selling artist not know english?!

Anyways...It says all the time - Ayu writes her own lyrics.
Verdict: then who the hell wrote Real Me?
Ayu maybe? Hm...let me think about it.

EDIT:..........errm..I seem to be in a mood today, scuse me.
Anyways, there's your point.
Old 2nd January 2006, 03:14 AM
Voyage Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumi no Yume
MAN you people.
She can speak english.
If you look online or do research, MOST JAPANESE CAN SPEAK ENGLISH - maybe not PERFECT, FLUENT english, but english.

Her concerts are no proof. She uses a Japanese accent because she's talking to a JAPANESE crowd.

If most Japanese know ENGLISH, why wouldn't Japan's most famous/best selling artist not know english?!

Thank you! Took the words right out of my mouth! ^_^
Old 2nd January 2006, 04:18 AM
devilayu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumi no Yume
MAN you people.
She can speak english.

I don't know where you get your facts from, you should probably post some links. Even then, Ayumi might not be part of the majority that you speak of.

re: "Real Me" comment -- If you look in the booklet for "Rainbow", there are 3 people listed as translators. She uses two languages in that album: Japanese and English. I don't think she needs a translator for her native language so it's reasonable to assume she needed a translator for the English parts.

[edit]
I just rewatched the "Ladies Night" PV and listened to the mp3 and don't think the person doing the English part is Ayumi. She doesn't even mouth the words to the English 'rap' in the PV (if you look closely, she's just mouthing other things)

After seeing a scan of the inside booklet, the credits for "Ladies Night" credit 3 non-Japanese ladies for background vocals and a woman for the Vocoder Voice (this is the synth 'rap' part). So, Ayumi does not sing the English for sure.

Last edited by devilayu; 2nd January 2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 3rd January 2006, 07:34 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

^that makes me sad...i thought it was ayu.

I just want to forget it all, without even saying "goodbye."
『Last minute』